6.14.2010

7 Ways to Take Time for Art on Vacation

When we are on vacation we try to see as much as possible and end up rushing around so you don't miss anything.

Instead of rushing around, tap into your inner artist. Take things slow when you visit a new location. Reflect on your experience, and bring your travel journal and make time to use it.



1. Enjoy the fashion as art - Take time to people watch and see all the fashions. Check out where people are shopping for the most fashionable shop.

2. Try the local food - Try something you have never tried before, let the food inspire you.

3. Check out the music scene - Be inspired by what's played in the cafes, on the streets, and even the clubs.

4. Ride the local transportation - This is a great way to experience the city, and feel its true cultural rhythms.

5. Seek out street art - Some of the best art can be found on the street. Visit small galleries, cute boutiques, and local parks for cool sculptures.

6. Go places artists go - Visit bookstores, art supply shops, open studio's. Pick up local papers and find artists events.

7. Spend time people watching - Spend a afternoon at a coffee shop with your journal/sketchbook and let the people, and conversations inspire you.

Traveling like an artists has less to do with what you do and more about how you do it. Be curious, pay attention to the details, be observant, and reflect. Record your ideas to use later as inspiration.

Take time for art to enhance your vacation experience.

What is your favorite thing to do to experience art on your vacation?


*Click now for - A unique Advertising Opportunity
Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the very timely reminder to create "artist's dates" with myself. Julie Cameron, in her wonderful book "The Artist's Way," suggests planning a date with yourself once a week. And it has been months...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohh, that sounds like a fantastic way to vacation. We do all those things, but I especially like to people watch---without them knowing I'm staring at them, of course. ;-) Thank you for reminding me of all the reasons it is so lovely to get out of your own town and see a bit of the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like me on vacation when .... I used to go on vacation! Joking. My problem is how to elaborate the many ideas I get while on holiday. It's as if they "belong" to that time, frozen and still and hard to be translated into art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like these ideas! I'm sure I rush around just too much when I'm away and I don't have time to enjoy it as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! I love to just sit in an outdoor cafe and observe the people. Sometimes I sneak a photo in there as well :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!