8.25.2009

Business Tip Tuesday - Teach a class


The thought of teaching a class can be a little scary.

When I was first asked to teach a class I said no. But a friend of mine would not stop asking, so I gave in and said yes. I have taught classes and workshops to kids, teens, and adults. I always have so much fun, and I learn something along with my students.

The hardest part about teaching is taking the first step, figuring out what you want to teach and where to do it.

There are several places with opportunities to teach classes and do workshops:

Art centers
After school programs
Community education programs
The library
Community college non credit programs
Out of your studio
At other peoples homes

Start with small programs or conduct your own. This is a great way to get your feet wet for a larger venue. Concentrate on what you know well. It will make it easier to teach and you will be an expert.

Don't forget to consider classes for kids, teens and adults. I also get requests from senior centers for fun projects they can do. Some of my best classes were kids classes, and teens are always a lot of fun.

This is a great way to add extra income to you business. Make sure to do some research to find out what other people are charging so you are getting paid what you are worth.

Teaching does require some planning and organization. If anyone wants more detail about teaching workshops leave me a comment and I will do a couple more posts about what is involved in planning and preparing for a workshop.

Have you ever had an opportunity to teach?

Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!