I struggle with this often. Lately it has been challenging to get my day started and to stay on track. I am good about creating a plan and using my to-do list, but once I get ready to start my day I get distracted and deviate from my plan.
Having discipline and sticking to your plan is important to reaching your goals, but can be the difficult to do consistently.
If you struggle with discipline as well, here are 7 ways to develop discipline into your work life.
• Make a personal commitment. Become a do-it now person, doing the things you know you should be doing.
• Focus on your goals. Review your goals every morning before you start working, this will inspire you to take action.
• Do what you don't want to do first. Block out time in your day for those things you don't enjoy, such as accounting. Getting them out of the way will make the rest of your work, the work you really want to do, more enjoyable.
• Make the decision to get things done in advance. If you have a big project plan it out even before you get out of bed. When you get up add your action steps to your to-do list and start your day with a plan.
• Make it a Routine. For those things you have to take care of daily, weekly, or monthly schedule them for the same day of the week and same time of the day. Knowing they are already on you calendar will make it easier to get them done.
• Get an accountability partner. Do you have someone in your life with a common goal? If so hold each other accountable to get things done.
• Reward yourself. When you do things that require discipline reward yourself for getting them done and for sticking to your plan.
Having discipline in all areas of your life yields many rewards, such as increased productivity, more confidence, and motivation to reach your goals.
Try a few of these steps for a week and see the difference a little discipline will make in your work life.
Do you feel you are disciplined when it comes to your business?