9.17.2013

Are Your Habits Holding You Back?

Do you have any bad habits?  You may not think you do but many of our habits and quirks are invisible to us.

Your habits and belief systems are a product of your environment and the people who influence you. If you spend a lot of time around negative people, being negative becomes part of who you are. Without knowing it some of your bad habits may be holding you back from reaching true success.  

The first thing to recognizing what habits are not benefiting you is to create a list of all the habits that keep you from being productive. 

It may take some time to compile but it will become helpful with your future planning. Until you clearly understand what's holding you back it's difficult to create more productive habits. 

I did this exercise, and I realized that I spent a lot of my day not being productive. Even though I always felt busy, I was not accomplishing everything I needed to complete. Several of the items on the list were easy to change, and these few changes have really made a difference in how I currently spend my day.

Creating this list will give you a strong foundation for improving, and it's the perfect project to do before the busy holiday season. Being able to make a few small changes will make you more productive and bring you more success.

Remember - Your outward behavior is the truth, whereas your inner perception of your behavior is often an illusion. -Jack Canfield

What's one bad habit you would like to change?

Share this post with your social network.

Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I'm easily distracted, and it's so annoying. I'll work on something really well for a while, and then I'll fall into a black hole looking at Pinterest for an hour. Sadly, a lot of my work involves my computer, so I can't just walk away from it during the day! Maybe I'll have to give my self designated goof-off times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige, I get easily distracted as well. I really like your idea of designated goof-off-times!

      Delete
  2. I spend too much time on the computer and not enough time in the sewing studio. My new job at the quilt shop requires me to be "unplugged" for 8+ hours. I need to impose those work day restrictions on my days off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend to much time on my computer too! I work hard to impose restrictions on myself, some days they work some days they don't but it's always a good goal to work towards.

      Delete
  3. I love the social networking aspect of business but don't really know if it is too much of a bad habit or not. It is time consuming yet enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the social networking aspect is a bad habit, I think it is a benefit to doing business. As long as you are enjoying networking, then it's should be an important part of your business.

      Delete
  4. Oh there are lots of things I'm still working on changing but it's so hard sometimes. I overthink to death. I feel like my crafts are crap if no one buys anything. And OMG I could be so much more productive if I could pry myself off the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I over think things to death too, JoJo. That is one of those things I worked on this summer. I figure if I just put myself out there some people will like what I have to offer and others will not. I am getting used to that idea. Don't stop putting your things out there, you never know something big could happen :)

      Delete
  5. It sounds like I'm not the only one who spends too much time goofing off online, instead of doing real work. Good to know. lol. I'm way too easily distracted, I get on the computer to do one thing, and then I find myself clicking around checking everything else, sometimes end up at blogs or on pinterest, or who knows where... ah! Right now, for the record though, I'm on an official break. Packing orders for the day is done. Now I can relax. :) xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The computer sucks me in too. I could easily spend my day surfing the internet if I didn't stop myself:)

      Delete
  6. The distance from my computer and the kitchen is just literally 5 steps. And I'm most times at the computer doing useless surfing and then trying to cook too. I'm really bad and yes get distracted so easily. Anyway, yesterday I listened to a guru and she rightly said, before you start your day, you must meditate for atleast 5 minutes for 21 days. Going to try it today for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea of taking 5 minutes to mediate, what a great way to start your day!

      Delete
  7. The first thing I thought of was spending too much time on the computer, but really that stems from my procrastination.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!