2.26.2013

Your Competition

When was the last time you looked at your competition?

I'm not talking about the entire online community that creates what you create, but those few selected artists or business owners that are working in the same medium, style, or have the same product.

Keeping up with what they are doing, their prices, packaging, new products, shows they are attending, will give you insight into what's going on in your industry and with your customer base.

As a jewelry designer when I am looking at what people are selling on Etsy I don't look at the jewelry category.  One because it's just too large, and two because I don't consider everyone who makes jewelry as competition.

I only look at a couple of categories, artists who are making jewelry with hardware and industrial items. By doing this I can see what people are buying and the designs that are selling.

By keeping an eye on what's happening in my niche market, it's easier for me to make plans for my own business. I know the market is big enough for all of us, but by checking out my competition I know what I need to do to make my items stand out.

Now it's time to check out your competition:

• Make a list of other artists or business leaders, who are working in the same niche, that you admire.
• Review their website, and check out their feedback.
•Create a list:
  What do you admire about them or their work?
  What tool are they using to promote their business? (newsletter, social media, etc...)
  What are their policies? Customer service?
  What makes them unique?

Now look over your list, do you notice any patterns? What are they doing you are not doing? Can in incorporate of those ideas into your business?

Checking out the competition on a regular basis should be part of your monthly or quarterly plan. The more you know the better your business will be, and that will guide you to become the business that everyone wants to admire.

How often do you look at your competition?


Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I don't really look at my competition to be honest. My mom insists on foisting on me pics she's cut out of catalogs of the so-called popular jewelry but I absolutely hate the styles and it would also require a huge investment to buy the supplies. I really don't consider myself competitive with others...I just do my own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder. I haven't done that in awhile. I'll do some friendly snooping tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice for anyone who wants to stay on the top of their niche. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm overdue for a look at my competition. I use to keep up with the latest trends, but I found that I was accumulating a lot of supplies and did not have the time to turn them into finished designs. I would get flooded with ideas (a good thing) but feel disappointed when I could not manage all the new projects. I need focus along with my inspiration. Thanks for reminding me to adjust to changing trends, I just need to focus on one thing at a time. Cheers!
    Lori in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm often checking out competition and what I notice more is how they take their pictures. It's hard to gauge because there are so many pouch and handbag makers and they are all so different. But, I notice that the big sellers are those with great pictures so that is what I am trying to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping an eye on the trends is important if you sell on Etsy but I've also found it hard to keep up with them as well! But you are right, that you should be reviewing what your competition is doing... not so that you are doing the same, but so you can set yourself apart. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use to do that a lot, but lately I have been doing that less and less. However, I do find it helpful. Afterall, that is how I found you, and now I just enjoy viewing your lovely artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was really good about doing this when I started selling on Etsy, and I've really fallen away from it. Lately I tend to mix up my routine by browsing items that I don't sell. It would be good to do this, too, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great read and tips! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post with good tips! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the reminder! I think it has been at least 6 months since I have done this!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!