5.25.2010

What is your Design Process?

Woven gemstone bracelet 6-7 years old

I am in planning mode for a new collection for my sterling silver art jewelry line. I am working to build up my inventory for the shops I sell too and a couple of shows I am doing this year.

This collection is a lot more work and takes about a month or two to complete because I create all the chains, ear wires, and clasps to go with each piece


A pair of earrings called Piece of a Circle 3-4 years old

When I am in the planning stages of a new collection I can't get enough information. I have been to the library checking out design, furniture, and art books, looking for new shapes, colors, and textures. I even go to the bookstore to check out magazines of current fashion, art and design, and trends.

A ring from a collection I did about 2 years ago


I now have about 20 pages of sketches, that I have to narrow down into a 12 piece collection.

I go a little crazy when I am in design mode, but when I get an idea I have to run with it. My mind never shuts down until I have the last piece designed. As I start working on this collection I will share with you a few of my pieces in future posts.

What is your planning process when you designing/creating?
Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I tend to get a little carried away when I'm in design mode too. I will sit at my desk at work and come up with new designs on scrap paper, and before you know it by the end of the week, I have like 4 new collections I want to start working on. My biggest problem is staying organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually get inspired by something I hear, or see in a magazine or store, or a song, or even a random word can set me off. So I always have a little sketchbook with me for ideas to draw, and a separate pad of paper for the stuff I need to do (I like to keep those separate). I would probably die without them. My biggest problem is finishing the ideas I start, which I've been trying to work on. It's hard for me to make something without a deadline.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!