6.30.2009

Business Tip Tusday - Sales Writing

Today I am talking a little about the writing we do from descriptions, ads, blog posts, policies, and more, and some basic rules to make your writing effective.

Now I am not a writer and until I started working on my blog I did not write that much at all. But the more time I spend blogging and trying to write creative descriptions the more I enjoy the process.

There are some basic rules to writing good copy and hopefully this list will help guide you to writing with your customer in mind.

♦Know your audience - we hear this all the time but it really is important to writing good copy

♦Know your product or service

♦Write benefit-oriented copy- we forget this sometimes, but if you want people to read what you write it has to be focused on what you can do for them

♦Short sentences and short words can add up to big ideas- sometimes the best info comes with no frills and is to the point

♦Use formats that promote - strong headlines, benefit-oriented copy, bulleted selling points, and a close that asks for the sale

♦Tell your reader what to do - always direct them to do what you want them to do, purchase something, read something, etc.

♦Tout your name - keep your name out there to build recognition

The more you write the better you get at it, and the easier ideas come to you. Try a couple of these ideas the next time you have to write a description or an ad, and see how they can effect your business.

Please share any ideas that have worked for you. The more we know the better our business.
Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Great tips! I am so going to mark this article :) Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post...thanks so much for sharing these ideas! :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! Writing for my business is my least favorite thing!

    Hey, did I tell you my bro lives in Woodstock?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, I am not a writer, but have become one from blogging. These will help, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Valerie and readers,

    I find important to read carefully and consulting a dictionary in case of doubts before posting an article.
    Reading an article without grammatical errors and with a good construction is always a better experience.
    Mind that consulting a dictionary will permit you to use words that are not so common.

    Kind regards,

    José

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!